Have we been Wrong about Rights?

Its difficult to clip a toenail, much less flip through a newspaper, without seeing or hearing the word "rights" flung about as if they as essential, if not more so, than oxygen. I am so sick of this talk of so called rights! Please do not misunderstand, I do not think that women should not have the vote or that minorities should be marginalized, but I do believe we need to put an end to the madness. People have the right to sue for practically anything, even something as ridiculous as burning one's tongue on fast food coffee (hence the overwhelming warnings that "COFFEE IS EXTREMELY HOT HOTTER THAN LAVA HOTTER THAN HELL PLEASE DO NOT SUE US!!!!" or something to that extent.
And you might die.

However, there are some "rights" that are more malicious in nature; a girls right to kill her unborn child without her parents' knowledge, the right of two men to be "married", the right of children to kill their elderly parents, etc. etc. I think it is time for our society as a whole to take a look at what a right truly is and to ask itself a few questions; namely, what is a right? Is it the ability to do whatever I want? What about if it infringes on the rights of others? What if it is harmful to society or myself? Should I do everything I have a right to do, or am I bound to a higher law? Are rights always right?
Dear America, instead of wasting time and money on costly lawyers to argue your "rights", why not invest some thought into what you are really entitled to, and whether it is a right, or a privilege.

Comments

Popular Posts