When is it too late?

C.S. Lewis wrote, "you are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream". I wonder if he's right.

The last time I took to this blog, I was a teenager, looking forward to the multiple and drastic life changes hurtling towards me--moving, beginning college, planning my future.

Fast forward seven years, and I find myself reverting to this medium, hoping to somehow process life by airing out here.

When I first started this blog, I was a dramatic and overly emotional (no change there) teenager with an insatiable appetite for travel, adventure, and anything that could get me out of Cumming, Georgia. I was tired of the small town, the even smaller minds, and the mindless monotony of my life. After a year of mission work, I left for New York City, determined to make something out of myself.

Fast forward seven years, and I am back in Georgia, teaching at a school that also employs one of the "mean girls" I so badly wanted to escape from. Why this? Why now? As tempting as it is to think that all the work, sacrifice, and dreams were for naught, I refuse to feel discouraged. Perhaps this is a way to process the trials of the past, or a stark reminder to never settle or give up. Regardless, I am eager to learn whatever lesson I must from this experience, and then to move on. Because I think I do believe Lewis, I do believe that it is never too late and that the goals and dreams of my 17 year old self need not be relegated to the trash heap of fate.

Now comes the interesting part, the part where I take my own advice and figure out how to make those dreams into reality.

Comments

Popular Posts